3.27.2007

The Ax-Man Cometh

Well, it's that time of year again. While most normal people wait in cheerful expectation of spring or hunkered down doing midterms, for the last few years I've spent March occupied with one very serious concern: Nielson ratings. Somehow my shows always end up on the bubble, and this year is no exception. In fact, the same show is on the bubble. Again.

Veronica Mars has ended each of its three seasons uncertain of its future. I presumed that the show's last success, the transition to the new CW network from the WB (after the network's merger with UPN) meant that the show had finally proved itself to TPTB. But no, the show was tweaked in its third season to appeal to a younger, Gilmore-y audience, and the romantic plots became central to the show's marketing. But whatever. It was still on.

But, yet again, here we are.

Rumors of Veronica Mars' cancellation have littered the message boards and fansites, and there seems good reason to be nervous. Kristin Veitch of EOnline! claims that while nothing will officially be announced until the upfronts in May, there are three possible outcomes: renewal, cancellation, or reformatting. In terms of the show continuing to air, the reformatting option seems to be the most viable. In this scenario, the show would keep (for now) only Kristin Bell, fast-forward four years, and follow Veronica as a full-fledged FBI agent. This is not my first pick, but whatever. I don't get a say. Or do I...

Every year, EOnline! (I love the exclamation point too much to omit) facilitates a "Save One Show" Campaign, in which readers vote for a show that is in danger of cancellation, and the E! website and cable channel funnel their energies into saving the show that receives the most votes from users. The SOS campaign successfully saved One Tree Hill last year (a gross misappropriation of power, if you ask me), so there really is power behind the winner. Of course OTH is back on the bubble this year, so hurrumph. But for now, here's what you should do:

You should vote for Veronica Mars. I said VOTE damnit!

2 comments:

Mags said...

okay, I have voted for Veronica Mars. Also at TVGuide.com Michael Ausiello has a poll asking which fans would rather save: Veronica Mars or Gilmore Girls because both are on the bubble and the CW is planning to only save one of them.

Michelle said...

Funny story Leslie. Just today I was browsing the Internet and found the Save 1 Show thing and yes I voted for the BIG V. THEN, I decided to read your blog. It's like we are on the same wavelength sometimes.