4.11.2006

Ethos, Pathos, Logos

So, my esteemed alma mater, Gonzaga University, has recently changed its logo. The large blue image of the Ad Building with the spires of St. Al's has been replaced by a slick, flashy logo, with red spires and the name "Gonzaga" in large, blue font. Well, as you can imagine, my initial reaction was outrage. How dare they mess with tradition! Clearly the old logo is embedded with a history that can't simply be replaced and altered, as though it meant nothing! Have we traded substance for style? IS NOTHING SACRED?

After the initial shock faded, things came into better focus. I've taken critical thinking. I know how to be rational. I employ reason when making judgements. What can I know? Red is an awfully pretty color. What should I do? Change, it's good, no? I can accept change. I should accept change. What can I hope for? An even better logo than before? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

I have to say, I may be coming around. I think the press release really says it best: "What researchers found was that the former logo contained many strong attributes, including the tradition and heritage of the school. But it also had shortcomings. It was difficult to reproduce in smaller sizes, the pen and ink drawing of the Administration Building and St. Aloysius Church was indistinguishable to those who had not been on campus before, and the word GONZAGA lacked prominence." Word.

Change doesn't come overnight, but I think with some reflection and a lot of prayer, I'll be able to fully integrate this new part of the Gonzaga family into my worldview. It's important. So, the logo has been "refreshed." How can I argue with freshness? It's like a chemical peel for the soul. Or the logo.

No comments: