1.05.2007

America's Next Top Sideshow

I've been re-watching the Top Model marathon on VH1 yesterday and today, and I have to say, Tyra's nuts. I've always sensed her instability, but man, watching one episode after the other, her psychosis has been thrown into sharp relief.

I'm particularly bothered by her contradictory opinions and advice. She dogs Danielle (the Cycle 6 winner) repeatedly because of her Southern accent and tooth gap, both features that Danielle is proud of. Tyra keeps saying that the judges don't "trust" her when she opens her mouth. Jigga what? Is this the same Tyra that fights for black, Asian, and plus-size models to make a mark on the industry? So only non-standard appearances are worth fighting for? I bet she's a fan of My Fair Lady.

Tyra has challenges every cycle that ask the models to pose nude, yet she does sting operations on her talk show meant to shame aspiring models who agree to pose naked. So taking your clothes off is only a way to get ahead when it's Ty-Ty asking? Please.

Inexplicably, I still like the show and I still like Tyra. I can't explain it. I guess I'm just as big a hypocrit as the big T.

No comments: